Jan 20, 2011

K I S S

Wait, wait, this is not the Kamal Hassan thing. 

I read a post on a blogger's site yesterday.  I read the first 2 paragraphs but did not quite understand what the blogger was trying to say nor was I able to get to the subject matter. One paragraph had just one sentence and was at least having 12 lines. Only after reading 75% of it, I could follow what was being said.  I felt like I was watching a Kamal movie. I had to watch Kamal's dasavatharam thrice to understand (just understand, not to even attempt repeating) what he was trying to convey in the scene where he gives a lecture on a dais.

I had such difficult-to-comprehend experiences with some ex-colleagues.

One is a kind of person who thinks people are intelligent if they have good command over English.  Let us call this person A. A loves to write in English and makes complicated sentences with all new different vocabulary A has built in the recent past.  Nothing wrong, but each sentence will have at least 50 words. Whenever I had to deal with A, I had to read A's writing two three times to get an understanding.

On the other hand, B is a person who adores adjectives.  When B speaks there will be at least 3 adjectives for every noun and I have noticed in several occasions that this had become a norm for B's communication.  Have you ever been on an eternal hold on phone with an irritating music?  Thats how I feel when B talks.

I  had a boss C who brought in new ideas to promote a lot of things  in the entire team. C formed smaller groups and entrusted each group with specific responsibility to minimize the load on the leads - Idealistic.  I have heard many people say that C's communication is often unclear...but here the case is different, C does not use fancy words, nor does C have lots of adjectives/adverbs in C's talk but C cant make smaller sentences which makes it difficult for others to follow.

Why cant we Keep It Short and Simple?

5 comments:

  1. Very few people realise issues in their communication !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont know...I think I'm getting older and older...

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting; please check out
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Major, I hope you did not tag your 'interesting' with my earlier comment :))
    Yep, I checked that link, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, I wouldn't like to consider myself ancient.

    ReplyDelete